Miss Hawaii Island Filipina pageant slated
Queen Raella Ann Solmerin Castro will relinquish her crown Saturday at the Miss Hawaii Island Filipina Scholarship Pageant at the Afook-Chinen Civic Auditorium in Hilo.
Sponsored by the Big Island Filipino Community Council, five contestants will compete in five phases: judges’ interview, swimsuit, talent, terno/speech and “diwa,” which refers to one’s spirit of being Filipino.
The contestants are:
• Lyka Raza, 17, a recent graduate of Waiakea High School. Her parents are Basil and Ruth Raza of Hilo.
• Sheryl Visitacion, 22, a nursing student at Hawaii Community College. Her parents are Edgar and Caridad Visitacion of Eleele, Kauai.
• Abigail Domen, 17, recent graduate of Waiakea High School. Her parents are Jon and Jessica Kunishige of Hilo.
• Kieryn Ka‘aihue, 18, graduate of Kamehameha Schools Hawaii. Her parents are Raymond and Jennifer Ka‘aihue of Pahoa.
• Ariane Dayoan, 18, a 2014 graduate of Waiakea High School. Her parents are Angel and Carol Dayoan Jr. of Hilo.
The winner will compete on Oahu at the Miss Hawaii Filipina state pageant July 26. To promote higher education, BIFCC will use pageant proceeds to give scholarship awards to deserving college-bound students.
General admission is $15. Doors open at 6 p.m.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.