Queen Raella Ann Solmerin Castro will relinquish her crown Saturday at the Miss Hawaii Island Filipina Scholarship Pageant at the Afook-Chinen Civic Auditorium in Hilo.
Sponsored by the Big Island Filipino Community Council, five contestants will compete in five phases: judges’ interview, swimsuit, talent, terno/speech and “diwa,” which refers to one’s spirit of being Filipino.
The contestants are:
• Lyka Raza, 17, a recent graduate of Waiakea High School. Her parents are Basil and Ruth Raza of Hilo.
• Sheryl Visitacion, 22, a nursing student at Hawaii Community College. Her parents are Edgar and Caridad Visitacion of Eleele, Kauai.
• Abigail Domen, 17, recent graduate of Waiakea High School. Her parents are Jon and Jessica Kunishige of Hilo.
• Kieryn Ka‘aihue, 18, graduate of Kamehameha Schools Hawaii. Her parents are Raymond and Jennifer Ka‘aihue of Pahoa.
• Ariane Dayoan, 18, a 2014 graduate of Waiakea High School. Her parents are Angel and Carol Dayoan Jr. of Hilo.
The winner will compete on Oahu at the Miss Hawaii Filipina state pageant July 26. To promote higher education, BIFCC will use pageant proceeds to give scholarship awards to deserving college-bound students.
General admission is $15. Doors open at 6 p.m.