Nominations sought for isle’s best gardens
Nominations are now being accepted for the 12th annual Betty Crocker Landscape Awards sponsored by Scenic Hawaii.
The awards honor backyard and professional gardeners, groups and individual projects that make a significant contribution to preserving or enhancing the natural beauty of the state.
Nominations are sought in four categories:
• Private individuals: passionate backyard and neighborhood gardeners who create beautiful green spaces on their own property;
• Professional: landscape industry projects for individuals or businesses;
• Volunteers, community and nonprofit groups that undertake projects in public spaces, such as schools or vacant land, and
• Xeriscape: gardens that feature drought-tolerant plants and conservation of water.
To nominate a garden or landscape, simply write a short letter describing the project and submit at least five photographs that showcase the best features of the garden. Reminder: Be sure to submit complete contact information for the nominee/entry as well as the person nominating the garden.
Nominations can be submitted by email (email@example.com) or by mail to Betty Crocker Awards, C/O PBR Hawaii &Associates, 1001 Bishop St., Suite 650, Honolulu, HI 968173. Deadline for nominations is Sept. 5. All winners will be announced and honored at an award ceremony at the Pacific Club on Oct. 20.
Scenic Hawaii is a nonprofit group dedicated to promoting programs that protect Hawaii’s natural beauty and preserve and enhance landscapes and streetscapes.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.