Sister Beatrice Carvalho, MM, missioner to Peru, will celebrate 70 years with Maryknoll Sisters at a Mass for Maryknoll Sisters with the congregation Sunday at Maryknoll Sisters Center.
Born in Hawi, Sister Beatrice entered Maryknoll at its motherhouse near Ossining, N.Y., in 1944 from St. Anthony’s Parish, Wailuku, and made her final vows March 7, 1950. A 1950 graduate of Mary Rogers College, Sister Beatrice has a bachelor’s degree in education.
Sister Beatrice’s first assignment was teaching first grade in a Maryknoll mission school in Siuna, Nicaragua, from 1950-54. She then taught catechism to tuberculosis patients in Anoon, Panama, from 1954-55.
In 1955, she was named director of Colegio de San Antonio, a secondary school in Puerto Armuelles, Panama, a position she had until 1961.
She then served as direction of Herlihy Hall, a commercial school in Mexico City, from 1961-67 and taught English in Puebla, Mexico, from 1967-71.
In 1971, she was assigned to her native Hawaii, where she worked at St. Anthony’s School, teaching Spanish, English and religion, serving as guidance department chairwoman and class counselor, as well as working as development secretary and an affiliate member of the congregation’s Central Pacific Region, until 1980.
From 1980-82, she worked in the Treasury Department at the Maryknoll Sisters Center, and from 1982-85 as part of the Center Council.
In 1986, Sister Beatrice was sent to Guatemala, where she worked with the poor in Mezquital until 2000.
In 2001, she was named a codirector of the congregation’ orientation program for new sisters, serving at their Chicago location until her retirement in 2006.