Dr. John to perform at French Quarter Fest
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — It’s been more than 25 years since Grammy Award winner Dr. John played New Orleans’ French Quarter Festival, but organizers said the singer-pianist is returning to the event this spring.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee is among the 1,400 Louisiana musicians scheduled to perform on 21 stages during the free festival scheduled April 10-13.
It’s hosted in an area that stretches from the Mississippi River to Bourbon Street and from Canal Street to Esplanade Avenue. It’s also the last big local music event before the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival opens for its two-weekend run from April 25-May 4.
Dr. John will play at 4:30 p.m. April 11 on the riverfront Abita Stage, organizers said Wednesday during a news conference at which most of the lineup was released.
A full schedule and lineup will be released in March.
Marci Schramm, executive director of French Quarter Festival Inc., said they are thrilled Dr. John is playing the festival for the first time since 1987.
“We asked him every year,” Schramm said. “It was really hard to get him in recent years because he’s been so busy and because of exclusivity clauses in his contracts. This year, though, seems to be our year, and he came back with open arms.”
The performance will be Dr. John’s only festival appearance in New Orleans this spring. He and his band, The Nite Trippers, are scheduled to headline the Baton Rouge Blues Festival on April 12.
Others scheduled to perform at the French Quarter festival include Irma Thomas, Amanda Shaw and the Cute Guys, BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet, George Porter Jr. &Runnin’ Pardners, Glen David Andrews, Davell Crawford, The Iguanas, Colin Lake, Irvin Mayfield and the Jazz Playhouse Revue, Rebirth Brass Band, The Roots of Music and 102-year-old jazz trumpeter Lionel Ferbos and the Louisiana Shakers.
“We only feature Louisiana music,” Schramm said. “This festival is exclusively about Louisiana music.”
First-time performers include Nathan and the Zydeco Cha Chas, PJ Morton, Symphony Chorus of New Orleans, Corey Ledet, Dash Rip Rock, Rusty Metoyer and the Zydeco Krush and Jon Cleary &the Absolute Monster Gentlemen.
The festival also will recognize the 50th anniversary of The Dixie Cups and the 40th anniversary of The Dukes of Dixieland.
The French Quarter Festival, which launched in 1984, drew an estimated 560,000 visitors last year and had an economic impact of more than $246 million.
“We’ve always been a locals’ festival,” Schramm said. “Locals have a lot of ownership in the festival. In the last 10 years though, it’s become a huge tourist draw. We’re finding that the numbers are about 50-50 locals to visitors. With growth comes discovery. We’re no longer the best kept secret in the city.”
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.