Sunday | July 24, 2016
About Us | Contact | Subscribe

Alleged Keaukaha stabber free on bail

A 46-year-old Ocean View man charged with attempted murder for a stabbing May 10 in Keaukaha is free on bail.

Paul Michael Gibson was released Wednesday evening from Hawaii Community Correctional Center after posting $374,000 bond, a few hours after the start of his preliminary hearing. The hearing, which was not completed, is scheduled to continue May 22, but the Hilo grand jury meets the previous day, so it’s possible prosecutors could seek an indictment against Gibson, which would render the continued prelim unnecessary.

Gibson, a licensed plumber who owns Built to Last Plumbing in Naalehu, is accused of stabbing 41-year-old David Coombs of Hilo seven times on a side road near James Kealoha Beach Park, also known as “4-Mile.”

Gibson’s attorney, Michael Zola of Kona, said Tuesday the stabbing was in self-defense. Coombs’ wife, Alicia, testified Wednesday the stabbing was unprovoked. She said neither she nor her husband knows Gibson, but Gibson confronted them at a party at 4-Mile for a deceased biker and told them to leave. She said he later rode his motorcycle to where they were parked, picked a fight with her husband, stabbed him and threatened them both with a firearm.

“I could see silver going in and out of my husband’s side,” Alicia Coombs said during the prelim.

Court documents filed by police say a black .22-caliber semi-automatic pistol was found in bushes off Apapane Road in Keaukaha.

David Coombs, who suffered stab wounds to his side, was taken to Hilo Medical Center in critical but stable condition, but has since been released from the hospital.

Gibson has been ordered not to contact David or Alicia Coombs either in person, or by any third party except for his attorney or investigator hired by his attorney.

Court records indicate that Gibson was sentenced by Kona Circuit Judge Ronald Ibarra to a year in jail and five years probation in 1996 after pleading no contest to first-degree terroristic threatening and possessing a snake. His jail time was later reduced to 60 days and all but $2,000 of a $25,000 fine for importing or possessing the snake was suspended.

Charges of carrying a loaded firearm and second-degree commercial promotion of marijuana were dropped in exchange for his plea.

Gibson’s probation was revoked in 2000 after he was arrested on assault and firearms charges. Records indicate Gibson pleaded no contest to a felony firearms charge and misdemeanor assault. In exchange for his plea, several other charges were dropped, including felony assault and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Gibson was sentenced by Ibarra to a year in jail and five years probation, 400 hours of community service, and ordered to seek anger management counseling after his release from jail.

Email John Burnett at


Rules for posting comments