Alleged shooter pleads not guilty


A woman accused of shooting a man near Holualoa last month pleaded not guilty Wednesday morning.

Randi-Keli Banagan, 22, appeared in Kona Circuit Court by video conference, allowing her attorney to enter the pleas to the roughly 20 charges she faces, the most serious of which is attempted murder.

During a preliminary hearing last week, victim Jeffrey Keanaaina testified about the March 29 shooting. As a condition of bail, Banagan was ordered to have no contact with Keanaaina. Judge Elizabeth Strance maintained Banagan’s bail at $250,000, noting Banagan was “on status” with the court for other charges.

Banagan’s attorney, Dean Kauka, will likely argue for a lower bail, said attorney Vincent Tio, who was standing in for Kauka at Wednesday’s hearing.

Strance set Banagan’s trial for July 22.

Banagan was charged last week with second-degree attempted murder, second-degree assault, first-degree terroristic threatening, second-degree reckless endangering, use of a firearm in the commission of a separate felony, three counts of not having a place to keep loaded firearm, three counts of having loaded firearm on a public highway, not having place to keep ammunition, two counts of illegally transferring possession of firearms, two counts of failing to have a permit to acquire firearm, two counts of ownership or possession firearm when prohibited, third-degree promoting a dangerous drug and having drug paraphernalia.

The charges stem from a shooting on Waiono Meadows Road. Keanaaina was treated and released the day of the shooting. He said during the preliminary hearing he recognized Banagan and had a heated exchange with her before she shot him.

Police officers at her preliminary hearing said they found Banagan at her grandmother’s home in Captain Cook. In the vehicle she was driving, they found two loaded .22-caliber rifles, as well as ammunition and drug paraphernalia.

Email Erin Miller at emiller@westhawaiitoday.com.

 

Rules for posting comments