County confirms new fireworks show


Hilo will get another fireworks show to make up for the mishap on Independence Day, Hawaii County confirmed Monday.

Roxcie Waltjen, county cultural education administrator, said another show will occur in Hilo Bay in late August, though the date is still being finalized.

With the holiday already gone, she said the event may be more of an end of summer celebration. The county is also looking

to set up other types of entertainment at the Mooheau Bandstand, Waltjen said.

On July 4, a computer glitch caused a 40-minute delay in the fireworks show, Donald Pascual, of Hawaii Explosives and Pyrotechnics, told the Tribune-Herald on Sunday. The glitch was also blamed for a failed firing during the show’s finale.

Pascual promised another show during the interview.

“… We’re gonna come back and before the end of summer, probably, we’re gonna do a big bash and we’re going to give Hilo what they missed out on,” he said.

The show cost about $33,000.

About half of that money came from revenue from the sale of individual fireworks permits.

Another $10,000 comes from Hilo Councilman J Yoshimoto’s contingency fund, Waltjen previously said. Hilo Jaycees also said it contributed $6,000.

Waltjen said the new show won’t cost the county any more money. The fireworks company will also have to pull new permits, she said.

“It was a glitch beyond anybody’s control,” Waltjen said. “We’re just happy Mr. Pascual is going to give us another show.

“We’re just trying to work all together and get it pulled off to give Hilo another celebration.”

 

Rules for posting comments