Homeowner’s son saves house from fire
Fire officials say the quick thinking of a homeowner’s son saved a Papaaloa residence from burning down this morning due to an electrical fire.
Four units responded to the 4:58 a.m. alarm of a fire at 35-2040 Nanu Street. The first unit arrived eight minutes later and found that occupant Reuben Prensky, the son of homeowner Joy Gardner, had extinguished the fire with a garden hose.
Prensky reportedly told firefighters that he awoke to crackling noises and found the sink in the laundry area fully involved with flames spreading to the wall. The fire was started by an electrical short in a light switch, according to a written Fire Department release.
Damage to the single-story home with a 2-car garage and attached studio was estimated at $10,000. Prensky’s quick action saved about $200,000 in property, Fire officials said.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.