Saturday | November 18, 2017
About Us | Contact | Subscribe

Ka‘u shooting victim recovering on Oahu

A 37-year-old Ocean View man is awake and talking at an Oahu hospital after being shot twice during an apparent attempted murder-suicide March 12 in Ka‘u.

Daniel Moriarty is currently out of the intensive care unit at The Queen’s Medical Center on Oahu, his mother, Kay Martin, who arrived earlier this week to be by her son’s side, said Wednesday afternoon. Stephens Media Hawaii is identifying Moriarty with his consent.

She said her son, a single father of three who was not ready to be interviewed, remains paralyzed from the waist down after being shot twice in the back. He came out of sedation Tuesday.

“He’s doing well, considering what he’s been through,” Martin told Stephens Media Hawaii. “He’s doing his best.”

Martin said her son also requested prayers be said for him to assist in his recovery at 2 p.m. Sunday.

“Send up prayers, healing thoughts or even a moment of silence for him in a collective blast of positive energy in his name,” said Martin, noting her son came up with the idea shortly after awakening Tuesday. “He is counting on everyone to spread the word to everyone they know to get as many people on board for this healing force.”

Martin told Stephens Media Hawaii this weekend her son was shot twice in the back and suffered a severed spinal cord during the shooting at his Hawaiian Ocean View Estates subdivision property.

Moriarty was shot following an argument with a 48-year-old man, who lived in a separate dwelling on the same property located near the intersection of Tiki Lane and Luau Drive, according to the Hawaii Police Department, which responded about 7 p.m. March 12 to a reported shooting on the property.

Police said Moriarty entered his home and was followed by the 48-year-old man who then shot the victim. Police later identified the 48-year-old as Clyde Claus Criswell, also known as Cris Criswell, of Ocean View.

Following the incident, Moriarty was flown to Kona Community Hospital and then medevaced to Queen’s where he remained Wednesday, according to police.

Email Chelsea Jensen at


Rules for posting comments