The state Department of Education announced late Tuesday afternoon that schools on Hawaii Island and Maui would be closed Thursday.
“The force of these storms remain uncertain, however, we do not want to wait until the last minute to close our schools,” said Superintendent Kathryn Matayoshi in a press release. “Additionally, many of our schools are designated emergency shelters and it is necessary to prepare thse facilities as the storms approach.”
A number of Hawaii County schools also were scheduled to close at 2 p.m. today, in the event they are needed as shelters.
- Kohala High & Elementary
- Kealakehe High (pet friendly)
- Konawaena High (pet friendly)
- Hilo High (pet friendly)
- Waiakea High (pet friendly)
- Keaau High (pet friendly)
- Pahoa High & Intermediate (pet friendly)
- Honokaa High & Intermediate (pet friendly)
- Kau High (pet friendly)
- Waikoloa Elementary
The DOE is expected to make a decision today regarding school closures on Friday.