Schools set to close in anticipation of Iselle
The state Department of Education announced late Tuesday afternoon that schools on Hawaii Island and Maui would be closed Thursday.
“The force of these storms remain uncertain, however, we do not want to wait until the last minute to close our schools,” said Superintendent Kathryn Matayoshi in a press release. “Additionally, many of our schools are designated emergency shelters and it is necessary to prepare thse facilities as the storms approach.”
A number of Hawaii County schools also were scheduled to close at 2 p.m. today, in the event they are needed as shelters.
- Kohala High & Elementary
- Kealakehe High (pet friendly)
- Konawaena High (pet friendly)
- Hilo High (pet friendly)
- Waiakea High (pet friendly)
- Keaau High (pet friendly)
- Pahoa High & Intermediate (pet friendly)
- Honokaa High & Intermediate (pet friendly)
- Kau High (pet friendly)
- Waikoloa Elementary
The DOE is expected to make a decision today regarding school closures on Friday.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.