Trial delayed for alleged South Point robber
Delays in providing information to the Public Defender’s Office didn’t amount to “bad faith” by Hawaii County police officers, a judge ruled Wednesday afternoon.
But the delays were enough for 3rd Circuit Court Judge Ronald Ibarra to grant Public Defender Peter Bresciani’s motion to move back the trial date for Trinety Crapser, who is accused of robbing a woman on South Point Road in January.
Bresciani moved to have the case dismissed last month, arguing police weren’t sufficiently investigating a related burglary that might have provided evidence — a stolen 20-gauge shotgun — that might help support Crapser’s comments to police after she was arrested. Crapser claimed her co-defendant, Kainoa Kahele-Bishop, stole the shotgun and threatened her with it, causing her to rob Trudi Grentz.
Crapser is accused of wielding a hatchet during the robbery, in which Crapser demanded possession of Grentz’s car. A struggle ensued, and Crapser allegedly bit Grentz and pulled her hair.
Several officers testified about a Jan. 28 burglary, during which a shotgun was stolen but not recovered.
“It strains credulity that nobody knows about this in a place like Ka‘u,” Bresciani said, referring to police officers who claimed they had not realized a shotgun matching Crapser’s description was stolen a few days before Kahele-Bishop allegedly threatened her with it.
Two police reports were also initially unavailable for the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office to access, and several weeks after the deadline for the state to provide discovery — evidence and police reports used in criminal cases — to the defense, Bresciani was alerted to the possibility fingerprints were taken but not yet identified from the burglary scene.
“It puts us in a position where it slows us down,” Bresciani said.
Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Kaua Jackson said expecting police officers to check every case file in their electronic records system daily, to check for updated information in potentially related cases, is an “impossible” task.
“The idea that the defense has is (Detective) Sean Smith had knowledge of this shotgun when he didn’t,” she added.
Multiple procedural aspects “just went awry” in the case, Jackson acknowledged.
Another detective told her Wednesday afternoon it would take about a month for the fingerprints to be processed.
Ibarra said he didn’t see evidence of “bad faith, nor a cover up.”
Given the fingerprint evidence is still being investigated, he agreed to push the trial back to July 29.
It was scheduled for June 30.
Email Erin Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.