Boy who stowed away on jet leaves Hawaii
HONOLULU (AP) — The 15-year-old boy who survived a 5 1/2-hour flight from California to Hawaii in a jet’s wheel well left the state, an official said.
Kayla Rosenfeld, spokeswoman for Hawaii’s Department of Human Services, said late Friday the youth is “no longer in Hawaii.”
Her brief emailed statement did not specify how or when Yahya Abdi left, whom he traveled with or where he went. A call to her office was not immediately answered early Saturday.
The boy’s father, Abdilahi Yusuf, arrived in Hawaii last week from the family’s home in Santa Clara, California, to bring him back.
Rosenfeld had said previously that the teen was in a Honolulu hospital after being transferred to state custody from the Maui airport, where he was questioned by FBI and airport officials following the April 20 flight.
Zahra Billoo of the Council on American-Islamic Relations in San Francisco, who has been speaking on behalf of the boy’s family, declined to provide any details. “We’re doing our best to help the family maintain the privacy they requested,” she said Saturday morning.
Yahya Abdi withstood the flight from San Jose, California, to Maui after hopping an airport fence and climbing into the wheel well of a Boeing 767. He has not spoken publicly about the ordeal that raised questions about airport security and revealed the personal family drama of a Somali immigrant struggling to adjust to life in the United States.
Abdi, who lives in Santa Clara with his father, stepmother and siblings, had been unhappy in California and desperately missed his mother, according to those who know his family.
His mother lives in a refugee camp in eastern Ethiopia. Ubah Mohammed Abdule told The Associated Press that the boy longed to see her, but couldn’t because his father told him she was dead and didn’t allow contact.
The boy’s sister, Najma Abdi, said Monday that their birth mother was lying, and that the father didn’t take the children away from her or mistreat them.
A family spokesman didn’t immediately return a call for comment early Saturday.
On Friday, the San Jose Mercury News reported that Mukhtar Guled, a cousin of the boy’s stepmother, said it’s not clear whether the father will be allowed to bring his son home.
“He could not see him. They won’t let him see him or visit him or talk to him,” Guled said.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.