State roundup for April 19
No charges in police shooting
LIHUE, Kauai (AP) — Prosecutors on Kauai have ruled that police were justified in shooting a 21-year-old in his car in Nawiliwili in August.
The Office of the Prosecuting Attorney says it declined to file criminal charges against the officers involved.
Prosecutors say the officers were defending themselves or other officers.
Police approached Mason Saio in a car in August during a check for criminal activity in the area. Authorities say he was holding two guns.
Prosecutors say Saio disobeyed several commands to drop his guns and leave the car, then pointed a loaded shotgun at the officers.
Bail denied for alleged killer
HONOLULU (AP) — A judge in Hawaii has denied bail for a Southern California man accused of killing a man whose dismembered body was found in an Oahu ravine.
Bryan Suitt, 46, was ordered Thursday to remain in custody pending his trial, which was set to begin next month. His trial is now set for January.
Prosecutors wanted Suitt’s bail to be increased or denied, saying he is a flight risk and comes from a wealthy family. His bail had been set at $5 million.
Authorities believe Suitt killed Alex Gonzales, 34, whose dismembered remains were found last September on both sides of Mililani Memorial Park Road.
Suitt was arrested in December at his family’s home on Coronado Island in San Diego. He unsuccessfully fought extradition to Hawaii.
HTA names music manager
HONOLULU (AP) — The Hawaii Tourism Authority has selected a company to manage a new series of monthly Hawaiian music concerts it is sponsoring to highlight the state’s musical heritage and boost tourism.
The agency is awarding The Kalaimoku Group a yearlong contract to manage the series and a May Day event. It has the option to extend the contract for four more years.
The state tourism agency said Thursday the goal of the Hawaiian Music Festival Concert Series is in part to boost tourism.
Resort agrees to protect land
HONOLULU (AP) — Turtle Bay Resort is agreeing to protect more than 660 acres of land on Oahu’s North Shore in a deal reached with the state, county and a nonprofit organization.
The resort will continue to own and use the land. But it and future owners will be bound by conservation easement restrictions.
Gov. Neil Abercrombie said the state will put up $40 million toward the deal. The city will provide $5 million. The Trust for Public Land will supply $3.5 million.
Turtle Bay Resort retains rights to develop two new hotel sites near the existing hotel and one resort residential site.
The resort says the agreement covers nearly 80 percent of the open space it owns on the ocean side of Kamehameha Highway.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.