Couple indicted in assault, robbery
A Hilo grand jury on Wednesday indicted a Hilo couple for the May beating and robbery of an elderly Hilo man.
The indictment charges 26-year-old Timothy Southern and 26-year-old Chasity-Ann Aiu-Horie with first-degree robbery, first-degree assault and second-degree theft for the May 25 incident.
According to the document, the victim is 68-year-old Robert Freitas.
Freitas told police on Oct. 5 that he was driving the couple, with whom he was acquainted, to a location in Hilo and around 1 a.m., he was assaulted and his wallet was stolen. The indictment states that the monetary amount stolen was more than $300.
Freitas sustained a serious head injury and was transferred to Oahu for treatment. He reported the incident to police upon his return to the Big Island.
Both are in custody at Hawaii Community Correctional Center in lieu of bail, $85,000 for Southern and $17,000 for Aiu-Horie.
Rules for posting comments
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.