Dance and art go hand in hand at Waimea event
Dance and art have always gone hand in hand, but this weekend at the Gates Theatre on the upper campus of Hawaii Preparatory Academy, Prince Dance Institute will take the concept a step further. Prince Dance Institute will present “Dancers at an Exhibition,” a take on composer Modest Mussorgsky’s most famous piano composition, “Pictures at an Exhibition.”
Using the theme of artwork as inspiration, as Mussorgsky did in his music, the show will feature original choreography inspired by famous piece of art. From Van Gogh’s “Starry Night” to Banksy’s “Balloon girl,” the show consists of modern music, contemporary art and original choreography.
Danced in various styles of contemporary dance, hip hop and jazz, it is an entertaining evening of dance and art directed by Angel Prince, narrated by Jay Nelson and using the institute dancers.
Show times are Saturday, May 18, at 7 p.m. and Sunday, May 19, at 2 p.m. Tickets can be bought at the door, $20 adults, $10 students, and $5 for keiki under age 5. For more information, contact 808-217-3008 or www.princedanceinstitute.com.
Rules for posting comments
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.