Monday | March 27, 2017
About Us | Contact | Subscribe

Fire destroys Pahoa home

An unattended candle led to an early-morning fire that destroyed a structure in Pahoa on Wednesday.

The Hawaii County Fire Department said via a press release that firefighters received the alarm at 3:22 a.m. and responded to a home on Kona Street in Pahoa at 3:45 a.m.

The found the 10-foot-by-14-foot structure “fully involved with roof collapsed,” according to a press release.

The structure and its contents were a complete loss, and a 31-year-old woman sustained second-degree burns to both hands while trying to exit the building. She was transported to Hilo Medical Center by ambulance in stable condition.

The other occupants, a man and the female owner of the building, identified as Shayla Shelton, as well as a toddler, were able to safely exit without harm.

Firefighters estimated the value of the structure at $20,000.

In a press release issued Wednesday afternoon, the Red Cross announced that it was responding to the incident.

“Red Cross volunteers went to the scene to ensure the immediate emergency needs of anyone affected, such as shelter, food and clothing, were met,” the release stated. “Caseworkers will continue to follow up with the family to ensure their immediate needs are met, and to provide referrals to assist with their disaster recovery.”


Rules for posting comments