A man was injured Tuesday afternoon when a inflatable boat caught fire while being launched at Honokohau Small Boat Harbor in Kailua-Kona.
Fire Rescue personnel who responded to the 6:25 p.m. report found the Sea Hawaii Rafting 25-foot Zodiac vessel on its trailer with its floorboards open and dry chemical fire extinguisher contents all over the boat’s interior, according to a written Fire Department statement.
One man suffered a laceration to his head and singed hairs on his arms and face. He was taken to Kona Community Hospital, where he was reported in good condition.
According to the department, the explosion was caused when gasoline fumes below the deck ignited while the vessel was being launched from the harbor’s mauka ramp. The boat’s owner/operator, crew and bystanders helped extinguish the fire. The vessel reportedly had an automatic fire extinguishing system.