Renovation begins on Reed’s Island bridge
By TOM CALLIS
Tribune-Herald staff writer
The Reed’s Island bridge was closed Monday, marking the start of an approximately nine-month renovation project.
The bridge on Kaiulani Street was the only means of accessing the neighborhood next to the Wailuku River since it was completed in 1899.
It’s been considered structurally deficient for a long time, and is unable to support the weight of fire trucks.
To improve its strength, the contractor, ABHE and Svodoba Inc., is replacing the wooden surface with steel beams and decking, adding concrete anchors to the foundation and installing lateral bracing.
The company was awarded the $6.4 million contract last summer. Some preliminary work began late last year.
The bridge is expected to be closed until October. In the meantime, a detour has been set up over private land off Kahema Street.
About 40 homes are located on Reed’s Island, and residents held a party on Sunday to celebrate the start of the project.
Larry Heintz, a member of the neighborhood hui, said they are trying to make the best of the closure.
The gathering resembled a block party, he said, with prizes offered for who could answer questions about the bridge, including how many planks are on its deck.
The answer: 168.5.
“We had a good time,” Heintz said.
He said he recalls the project being first discussed in the late 1980s, and is glad to see work getting started.
“We’ve had about 20 years of preparation; we ought to be able to put up with it,” Heintz said of the closure.
Gary Andersen, owner of the Shipman Bed and Breakfast, said he is most concerned about noise.
The B&B is located next to the bridge, and the rattling sound of machinery could be heard in the gulch below.
“So far, it’s been pretty good,” he said. “They are not starting too early.”
On the plus side, Andersen said, the house is now located at the end of the street due to the detour and doesn’t see as much traffic.
The guests are being notified of the construction, he said, and he expressed concern over the length of the project.
“It just seems like quite a bit of time for a small bridge,” Andersen said.
The project will increase the bridge’s load rating from six tons to 20 tons.
The state Department of Transportation is covering 80 percent of the project’s cost. The county is covering the remaining 20 percent.
Email Tom Callis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.