Sunday | September 25, 2016
About Us | Contact | Subscribe

State roundup for June 10

Air passenger pleads guilty in assault case

HONOLULU (AP) — An airline passenger accused of getting out of control during an 11-hour New York-to-Hawaii flight has pleaded guilty to interfering with flight crew members and attendants — even though he says he has no memory of the incident.

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser reports 43-year-old Ricardo Caceres entered his plea in U.S. District Court in Honolulu on Friday. He faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison during a hearing set for September.

The newspaper reports that Caceres, a native of Mexico, may also face immigration consequences.

Caceres was accused of throwing water and spitting food at a flight attendant, then shoving the attendant against lavatory doors.

The FBI says Caceres also bit a Federal Air Marshal deputy on the leg while authorities were trying to handcuff him.

Kauai bus pass prices to increase starting July 1

LIHUE, Hawaii (AP) — Frequent Kauai bus riders are encouraged to buy bus passes before increased rates take effect.

Effective July 1, the monthly pass will go from $25 to $30 and the annual pass will increase from $240 to $300. Six-month passes, which are currently sold for $120, will no longer be available starting next month.

Kauai Transportation Agency Executive Celia Mahikoa says the rate increase is necessary to cover a portion of the major changes in services offered over the last few years.

She says operations were expanded by about 35 percent by adding Sunday service and extending weekday hours. A consultant was also hired to design shelters for all bus stops. Other changes include making the Kapahi and Koloa shuttles operate hourly.

5 rescued from capsized boat off Oahu

HONOLULU (AP) — The Coast Guard has rescued two children and three men who were clinging to an overturned boat off Oahu.

Lt. Kevin Cooper says the Coast Guard received a distress call about 6:40 a.m. Saturday about the capsized, 17-foot boat off Kaena Point, a remote part of Oahu.

Rescuers relied on the boat’s working radio to locate it in the waters. When they arrived, they found the children in life jackets and the three men, who were not in lifejackets, hanging on to the boat.

The crew lowered a rescue swimmer from a helicopter to pluck one man and the children out of the water. A nearby boat rescued the other two men.

They were brought to Dillingham Airfield where paramedics treated them.


Rules for posting comments