Monday | August 21, 2017
About Us | Contact | Subscribe

Woman gets sick eating invasive fish

Woman gets sick eating invasive fish

HONOLULU (AP) — A Honolulu woman she’s recovering from a poison she ingested by eating an invasive species of fish.

Sudsiri Roberts tells KHON-TV ( a family friend nearly two months ago gave her roi, also known as peacock group, which is a carrier of the toxin ciguatera (see-gwi-TEHR’-ah).

The 77-year-old woman cooked it for dinner and 15 minutes later got sick enough to go to a hospital.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says roi is the source of nearly a quarter of all of ciguatera poisoning cases.

The agency says the fish is an invasive species introduced in the 1950s and can kill 146 indigenous reef fish per year.

Roberts says she has lost 10 pounds and continues to suffer symptoms, including leg pain, hot and cold flashes, depression and hallucinations.


Rules for posting comments