EU ministers call for emergency meat testing
By RAF CASERT
BRUSSELS — European Union nations on Wednesday called for more intensive testing for a month to try to contain the scandal in which horsemeat was sold as beef.
The emergency meeting at EU headquarters included nations most affected by the horsemeat scandal that has swept through Europe, with millions of burgers and frozen meals recalled across the continent.
Ireland’s Agriculture Minister Simon Coveney suggested the scandal would likely spread further as more countries test beef.
Germany said Wednesday it had received a shipment of tainted frozen meals and Norway pulled products from its stores.
Ireland found horsemeat in burgers last month after routine testing.
“Once we got the positive test and the investigation was under way, obviously other countries followed suit,” said Coveney, who chaired the meeting. “As they tested they found that the problem has been getting bigger and bigger.”
The nations also proposed that investigations in Ireland, France, the Netherlands and other nations should now be coordinated by the EU’s Europol law enforcement agency.
“What was clear, was the absolute unity of purpose of the member states to get to the bottom of this,” said Britain’s Environment Secretary Owen Paterson. “We do not know exactly what has gone wrong.”
The testing proposal envisions requiring EU members to test 6,500 beef samples for traces of horsemeat and a harmful equine medicine known as Bute during the month of March.
Results would be announced April 15.
The plan will now be considered at a specially called meeting of food and animal health experts on Friday, when the 27 member states are expected to back the call.
In Britain and Ireland there is great sensitivity about eating horse, but that does not exist in other EU nations like France and Belgium.
Germany’s agriculture and consumer protection ministry said a shipment of frozen lasagna containing horsemeat was delivered to at least one trader in western Germany.
The Norwegian Food Safety Authority spokesman Kenneth Vikse said Wednesday that leading store chains, Findus and other producers had recalled processed products. Earlier Wednesday, small supermarket chains in neighboring Denmark withdrew lasagna products.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.