Venezuela sets April 14 for presidential election
CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — Venezuela’s electoral council has set a presidential election for April 14 to choose the successor to President Hugo Chavez.
Acting President Nicolas Maduro will run as the ruling party candidate.
The coordinator of the opposition coalition says Henrique Capriles is being offered that bloc’s candidacy. Capriles lost to Chavez in an October election.
Chavez later anointed Maduro as his chosen successor before undergoing surgery in December for the cancer that led to his death Tuesday.
Rules for posting comments
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.