Tennis club awards scholarships
The Hilo Junior Tennis Club awarded $500 scholarships to Kyle Kosaki and Christopher Simons, a pair of recent graduates from Waiakea High School.
They were members of their school’s tennis teams, and both carried grade point averages of 3.8 or higher going into their last semester. The club also recognized three other graduating seniors — Andy Matsuura, Stephanie Matsuura and Marissa Miyahira — at an awards presentation.
Also, a summer tennis camp program is scheduled to run Tuesday through June 28, and enrollment forms may be picked up from the club’s information box at Edith Kanaka’ole Multipurpose or obtained at email@example.com.
sessions on tap
Hilo High girls volleyball coaches have made changes to a conditioning program that will run from Monday through June 22 and consists of four sessions:
• Session 1A — Weight training, conditioning: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 1-1:50 p.m.
• Session 1B — Core strength, conditioning: Tuesday, Thursday, 1-1:50 p.m.
• Session 2 — Journal writing, strategic planning, activities: Monday–Friday, 2-2:50 p.m.
• Session 3 — Positions, volleyball skills: Monday–Friday, 3- 3:50 p.m.
• Session 4 — Team volleyball skills: Monday–Friday, 4-5:30 p.m.
Cost is $40 per week per person for all training sessions; $10 a week for individual sessions 1-3; and $15 per week for Session 4.
The program is for students of all schools interested in playing high school volleyball, and athletes must have an updated physical form and will need a notebook or a folder with binder paper. For more information, contact Coach Kotaki at 933-9131 firstname.lastname@example.org.