Big Island briefs
Waiakea Uka athletics registration
Waiakea Uka Athletic Association will hold coach-pitch and T-ball registration from 6-8 p.m. Tuesday at Stanley Costales Gymnasium.
Registration is $65, which includes a uniform.
Parents are asked to bring a copy of their child’s birth certificate.
For more information, call Jeff Cabral at 936-0193.
Lyman Museum Golf Tournament
The fourth annual Lyman Museum Golf Tournament will be held Nov. 17 at Volcano Golf and Country Club.
Registration begins at 7:30 a.m. with a shotgun start at 8:30 a.m.
The tournament will include two-person teams in the scramble format with awards and lunch to follow. The team entry fee is $500 and tee sponsorship is $150.
Proceeds will benefit the Smithsonian-affiliated Lyman Museum and Mission House, and its collections, exhibits and educational programs.
For more information or to register, call tournament chairman Warren Lee (896-8102) or Tricia Au at (935-5021).
Kohala hiring boys volleyball coach
Kohala is seeking a head boys volleyball coach. Interested applicants can file a application at the school’s main office by Nov. 9
Hilo’s Igawa wins Muni tourney
Chris Igawa, a Hilo dentist, shot 65 to take top honors at a Hawaii Island Golf Association six-person team golf tournament Oct. 28 at Hilo Municipal Golf Course.
All individual and team winners were awarded cash prizes.
Team (in order of finish): Thursday Hui, Palaka 1, Hustlers 3, Old Guys Rule, Ten Gang, Hustlers 1 and Two Bits, Hustlers 2 (tied for eighth), Bay City, and Hilo Koreans 1 & 2 (tied for 10th).
• Individual low-net scorers (70 or below) were: men (A-flight) – Glenn Ohashi (65), Ron Yabe (66), Sidney Shimabukuro (66), Grant Kozohara (66), Arnie Asato (66), Albert Watanabe (67), Clarence Young (67), Henri Aki (67), Kyle Tengan (68), Steven Guillermo (69), K.D. Kim (69), Mike Nagao (69), Randy Pak (69), Gerald Ueyama (69), Ray Tanaka (70), Miles Miyahara (70), Richard Nii (70), Coby Iida (70), Gary Nakamura (70), Toshi Aoki (70), Joe Yamane (70), Derek Botelho (70), Alvin Okamoto (70), and Wendell Kojiro.
• Men (B-flight): Greg Kama (63), Vic Vierra (64), Derrel Miyashiro (66), Dennis Morita (66), Roy Uyeda (67), Les Matsumoto (67), Keith Hashimoto (67), Tommy Haraguchi (68), Gil Garcia (68), Kyle Fujimoto (68), Paul Imamura (69), Amadeo Bermudez (69), Glenn Maeda (69), Augie Dias (69), John Roque (69), Kenneth Oliveira (69), Ken Nishihira (69), Lane Shibata (70), Cliff Klask (70), Walter Ahuna (70), and Stephen Kitagawa (70).
• Women: Angie Sinsin (62), Yun Ok Hasen (62), Kim Murasaki (63), Sharon Hirai (69), and Suzanne Lee (70).
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Stephens Media LLC or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Stephens Media LLC is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.