takes coaching job
Former University of Hawaii at Hilo standout Andy Smith has been named head men’s basketball coach at Ocean County College in Toms River, N.J.
Smith, a 6-foot-6 shooting guard for the Vulcans in the mid-1990s, played basketball for Ocean County College before accepting a scholarship to play at UH-Hilo. He was a two-year starter for the Vulcans and twice tied the school record for most 3-pointers in a game with seven.
Smith, who prepped at Brick Township Memorial High School in New Jersey, played two years at Ocean County College, a junior college. He was an all-conference and all-region player.
After graduating from UH-Hilo, Smith worked for then-Governor Linda Lingle as her executive administrator on the Big Island.
In 2004, Smith founded Hawaii Island Hoops, a college/prep basketball camp that is held each June in Kailua-Kona.
In a recent Ocean County College press release announcing Smith’s hiring, he said: “I’m happy to have the opportunity to help student-athletes through our program, because I was just like them. My goal was to play college basketball and get my education, and now I am excited to pass on what I have learned and help them to the next level.”
Sports expo on tap
July 27 in Waimea
The inaugural Waimea Sports Expo and Family Fun Day will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, July 27 at Waimea Park.
The free event invites youth and families to participate in instructional clinics and mildly competitive games. Hosted by Waimea teams and clubs, sports on tap include football, soccer, basketball, volleyball, baseball, table tennis, rugby, tennis, track and field and youth wrestling.
Kupuna softball team members will also host a home-run derby of “who can hit the farthest 14” ball. Also on site will be an entertainment stage, a sports registration table, live health and wellness demonstrations, concession booths, jumping castle and water slide.
For more information, contact Melissa Samura, Waimea Parks and Recreation director (887-3014, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Several Zig Kory
soccer camps slated
The Zig Kory Soccer Academy will hold several camps in the upcoming weeks in Hilo, Waimea and Kailua-Kona,
The camps are run by UH-Hilo men’s soccer coach Jeffrey “Ziggy” Korytoski.
• Zig Kory Soccer Academy high school/ college prep camp, ages 14-19, Tuesday-Thursday in Kailua-Kona. The camp runs each day from 9 to 11:30 a.m. at the Old Airport Field. The sessions are conducted at the highest level to prepare players for either their high school or collegiate season, Korytoski said.
The cost of the high school/college prep camp in Kona is $85.
• Zig Kory Soccer Academy High, June 7-8 in Waimea at the Parker Ranch Arena Fields. The June 7 session runs from 4 to 6:30 p.m. The June 8 session runs from 9 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m.
The camp is for boys and girls ages 8-14. The cost is $85 per camper.
• Zig Kory Soccer Academy Advanced Camp, June 10-14 at Amauulu Soccer Fields in Hilo. The daily session runs from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
The camp is for boys and girls ages 8-13. Cost is $115.
• Zig Kory Soccer Academy Keiki Camp, June 10-14 at Amauulu Soccer Fields in Hilo. The daily session runs from 9:30 to 11 a.m.
The camp is for boys and girls ages 4-7. Cost is $75.
• Zig Kory Soccer Academy High School/College Prep Camp, June 11-13 at Amauulu Soccer Fields in Hilo. The daily session runs from 1 to 3:30 p.m.
The camp is for boys ans girls ages 14-19. Cost is $85.
Note: If players sign up before June 7, they will receive a $10 off discount on the camp fee.