Big Island briefs
Boxing show at Keaau
The Yeshua Outreach Center in Keaau will be hosting a USA Boxing-sanctioned boxing event at 6 p.m. Saturday.
Boxers from the Big Island as well as other clubs from across the state will be competing in the event at the Sure Foundation Church gym, located on the corner of Pohaku Circle and Pahoa Highway.
Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for ages 11-17, with children under 10 free.
For more information, contact 966-6489.
Umpires to meet
The Orchid Isle Umpires Association will conduct its monthly general membership meeting at the Kamana Senior Citizens Center at 127 Kamana St. on Tuesday at 7 p.m.
All OIUA members and those interested in umpiring youth leagues, high school baseball and softball games are encouraged to attend.
For any questions, call OIUA president Norman Kaaihue at 989-8788.
Golfers shine at Muni
Dereck Botelho aced the par 3, 177-yard 10th hole on Sept. 19 at Hilo Municipal Golf Course. He used a 4 iron to sink his first ace in 50 years of playing golf.
Witnessing Botelho’s milestone were Richard Miyamoto, Bruce Lim, Kyle Fujimoto, Larry Nagata and Harry Youn.
In another milestone:
• Sus Shigemasa, age 83, shot a gross 79 on Sept. 21 while playing with the Duffers Golf Club and then fired a gross 80 on Sept. 22 while playing with the Hustler’s Golf Club.
Both rounds were played at Hilo Muni.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.