Big Island briefs
Hawaii Prep running back Bobby Lum has been named the Big Island Athlete of the Month for September.
Lum, a 5-foot-8, 210-pound senior, ran for over 800 yards during September to lead the Ka Makani to a 5-2 overall record and 3-2 mark in the Big Island Interscholastic Federation. Besides being a standout runner, Lum also plays linebacker for the solid Ka Makani football team.
Lum, who averages 7.6 yards per carry, kept up the pace in early October, rushing for 235 yards on 31 attempts to go along with three touchdowns in a 41-24 win over Kamehameha in a critical Division II clash in Keaau. He has now rushed for over 1,000 yards this season.
The Big Island athlete of the month program is sponsored by Don’s Grill, under owner Don Hoota. The athlete of the month as well as athlete and sportsperson of the year programs were founded by the late Jack Matsui.
Members of the selection committee are Hugh Clark, Ramon Goya, Stan Costales and chairman Bill O’Rear.
Nominations for the October athlete of the month may be sent to Don’s Grill, 485 Hinano St., Hilo, HI 96720, or to Bill O’Rear, Tribune-Herald Sports, P.O. Box 767, Hilo, HI 96721; or e-mail email@example.com.
The deadline to submit nominations is Nov. 1.
• January: UH-Hilo basketball player Kamie Imai.
• February: Kamehameha basketball player Casey Poe.
• March: UH-Hilo pitcher Vanessa Salinas, national judo champion Tyler Yonemori.
• April: Waiakea golfer Ciera Min.
• May: Hawaii Prep’s Zoe Sims, state track champion.
• June: Hilo golfer Ciera Min.
• July: Southside boys 14’s volleyball team.
• August: Kealakehe swimmer Leahi Camacho, Hilo golfer Ciera Min.
• September: Hawaii Prep running back Bobby Lum.
The Hilo Athletic Committee, in partnership with the Hilo High School athletic department, will be holding its annual Steakfry fundraiser on Sunday, Oct. 20, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the school patio to support the school’s athletic department.
Kiawe-grilled steaks will be on sale for $8 per plate. For more information, please call 935-4652.
UHH soccer to
play at Amauulu
The University of Hawaii at Hilo soccer matches scheduled today and Monday have been moved from UHH to Amauulu Field.
At 12:30 p.m. today, the Vulcan women play Fresno Pacific, followed at 3 p.m. by the UHH men vs. Fresno Pacific.
On Monday at 12:30 p.m., it’s the UHH women vs. Notre Dame de Namur, followed at 3 p.m. by the Vulcan men vs. NDNU.
For more information on UHH soccer, go to: www.hiloathletics.com
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.