Kamehameha volleyball player Shae Kanakaole has been named the Big Island Athlete of the Month for September.
The 5-foot-8 senior outside hitter led the Division I Warriors to an undefeated Big Island Interscholastic Federation record (11-0). She was the dominant player on the top team in the league, one heavily favored to win the BIIF title and earn a berth in the upcoming state tournament on Oahu.
Kanakaole’s powerful skills, strong blocking and solid leadership were keys to Kamehameha’s outstanding play during the preseason and through the BIIF season, which winds down this month.
The Big Island athlete of the month program is sponsored by Don’s Grill, under owner Don Hoota. The athlete of the month as well as athlete and sportsperson of the year programs were founded by the late Jack Matsui.
Members of the selection committee are Hugh Clark, Ramon Goya, Stan Costales and chairman Bill O’Rear.
Nominations for the October athlete of the month may be sent to Don’s Grill, 485 Hinano St., Hilo, HI 96720, or to Bill O’Rear, Tribune-Herald Sports, P.O. Box 767, Hilo, HI 96721; or e-mail email@example.com.
The deadline to submit nominations is Nov. 1.
2012 Athletes of the Month
• January: Jason Alani, NFL Punt, Pass & Kick national champion.
• February: State champions Konawaena (girls D-I basketball), Kamehameha (girls D-II basketball), Honokaa (boys D-II soccer) and swimming champions Anu Nihipali (Hawaii Prep) and Beth Tsuha (Hilo High).
• March: Kamehameha’s Akoakoa Paleka-Kennedy captured his second straight state heavyweight wrestling title.
• April: UH-Hilo softball standout Aisha Sueda.
• May: Waiakea baseball standouts Quintin Torres-Costa and Kodi Medeiros and Kamehameha volleyball star Evan Enriques and track champion Aukai Akau.
• June: Ronnie Loeffler, Hawaii Stars baseball pitcher.
• July: Madisyn Uekawa, Hilo Aquatic Club swimmer, who claimed five gold medals at the state age group long course swimming championships.
• August: Kahoalii Karratti, Konawaena quarterback, who led the Wildcats to the top of the BIIF Division II standings with his outstanding preseason and regular season play.
• September: Shae Kanakaole, Kamehameha volleyball player, who led the Warriors to an undefeated regular season record with her dominant play.