Kenya’s Kipsang wins Honolulu Marathon
Kenya’s Wilson Kipsang won Sunday’s Honolulu Marathon in 2 hours, 12 minutes, 31 seconds. He pulled away from Ethiopian runner Markos Geneti at the 22nd mile of the 26-mile race. Geneti finished second in 2:13:08, followed by Kiplimo Kimutai(2:14:15), Patrick Ivuti (2:14:55) and Julius Arile (2:15:17), all of Kenya.
In the women’s race, Valentina Galimova defeated defending champion Woynishet Girma in a thrilling finish. Galimova did not separate from the Ethiopian Girma until less than a mile remained. Galimova finished in 2:31:23, followed by Girma’s 2:32:22.
American Stephanie Rothstein-Bruce of Flagstaff, Ariz., finished third in 2:32:47.
Information for this article came from honolulumarathon.org.
Editor’s note: A list of the Big Island finishers will appear later on this week in the Hawaii Tribune-Herald.
Rules for posting comments
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.