Online Extra: Kohala trips HPA in a thriller
Sophomore Kealen Figueroa sank a free throw with 2.5 seconds remaining to give Kohala a thrilling 52-51 win over Hawaii Prep on Thursday night.
The Big Island Interscholastic Federation boys Division II basketball game was played at Kapaau.
The host Cowboys (2-0) led 12-5 at the end of the first period before the Ka Makani (1-1) rallied to take a 23-22 halftime lead. The hosts outscored Hawaii Prep 13-12 in the third quarter and 17-16 in the frantic final period.
Senior Jovan Crnic, a 6-foot-4 point guard who had a game-high 26 points, hit a free throw with 3.9 seconds left to tie the game at 51-51. But Figueroa was fouled on a drive and he made the first of two free throws. Then when he missed the second shot, the Ka Makani rebounded and missed a long desperation shot at the buzzer to end the game.
“It was a great game,” said Kohala scorekeeper Deedee Fernandez. “Both teams played good. Jovan (Crnic) is a good player and he showed a lot of composure.”
Senior guard Kalai Kapeliela led Kohala with 13 points while Makani Kualii and Hana Caravalho each added 12. Junior Kalan Camero followed Crnic with 14 points for the defending BIIF D-II champions.
In the junior-varsity contest, Kohala beat Hawaii Prep 44-31. Shawn Estabilio led the hosts with 14 points and Kainalu Emeliano-Solomon had 12, Colin Yates had 11 points and Victor Lee 10 for the visitors.
In other games Thursday, it was: Hilo 55, Pahoa 22; Keaau 57, St. Joseph 17; Waiakea 49, Ka’u 37; and Konawaena 70, Kealakehe 47 in a late reported game.
• Hilo 55, Pahoa 22: At Pahoa, Kian Kurokawa scored 16 points and Jacob Genegabus 13 to lead the Vikings (2-0).
Hilo led 10-3 after the first quarter and 25-8 at the intermission. The visitors then outscored the cold-shooting Daggers (2-1) 30-14 in the second half.
Senior Nick Fisher led Pahoa with eight points.
In the JV game, Hilo defeated the Daggers 64-35 behind 18 points from Sione Atuekaho and 10 from Dane Foster. Keinan Agonias topped Pahoa with 12 points.
Hilo 10 15 15 15 — 55
Pahoa 3 5 6 8 — 22
• Konawaena 70, Kealakehe 47: At Kealakekua, Brenton Shropshire had 18 points and Jonah Bredeson and Nick Mims 10 apiece to lead the Wildcats (2-0).
Deion Utrera, Keanu Tilfas and Kainalu Lozano each had 11 points for the Waveriders (1-2).
In the JV game, Kona edged Kealakehe 47-43 in overtime.
Kealakehe 6 14 14 12 — 47
Konawaena 15 23 12 20 — 70
• Keaau 57, St. Joseph 17: At Hilo Civic, Aynns Ines scored 14 points and Charlie Belmes and Edgar Ventura each added eight to lead the visiting Cougars (2-0).
Freshman Cole DeSilva had nine points and junior Ben Uhlmann chipped in with five for the Cardinals (0-3).
Keaau 17 20 8 12 — 57
St. Joe 2 3 9 3 — 17
• Waiakea 49, Ka’u 37: At Waiakea, Bryson Ita scored 16 points, Maikai Gahan 14 and Owen Sandstrom 13 to lead the host Warriors (1-1).
Royden Esperon topped the Trojans (1-2) with nine points and Alexis Alejo had eight.
In the JV game, Waiakea beat Ka’u 47-23. Joey Ongais had 10 points and Jayston Prudencio nine for the Warriors. Chance Emmsley and Franklin Orcino each had six for the Trojans.
Ka’u 8 19 3 7 — 37
Waiakea 9 13 14 13 — 49
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.