Online Extra: Molina, Kaupu spark Kona to win
Freshman guard Chanelle Molina scored 14 points, and senior forward Courtney Kaupu followed with 13 at Onizuka Gymnasium as Konawaena defeated Hawaii Prep 51-22 Tuesday in a Big Island Interscholastic Federation girls basketball game.
Freshman forward Ihi Victor added nine points for the Wildcats (6-0), who honored breast cancer survivors with their annual Pink Zone night on their final home game of the regular season.
Konawaena, which as won 54 consecutive league games, can cap a fifth consecutive undefeated BIIF regular season with road victories at Kohala on Thursday and at Kealakehe on Saturday.
Junior forward Tiana Reynolds led HPA (4-3) with 11 points.
Hawaii Prep 2 7 3 10 — 22
Konawaena 15 11 20 5 — 51
• Kohala 51, Kealakehe 20: Senior guard Sheana Cazimero had 16 points and three rebounds in Kapaau for the Cowgirls (2-5), who held the Waveriders scoreless in the first quarter.
Junior guard Mohala Kaholoaa-Kumukoa added 11 points and rebounds for Kohala.
Senior Kehau Lee had 12 points and five rebounds for the Waveriders (0-6).
In the JV game, Kohala defeated Kealakehe 43-24 behind 17 points from freshman Briana Harrison and eight from freshman Jenny Fong. Freshman Ashlyn Cabatabat led Kealakehe with eight points.
Kealakehe 0 7 7 6 — 20
Kohala 9 18 9 15 — 51
• Kamehameha 58, Keaau 24: At the Cougars Gym, Riana Arima scored 16 points, Casey Poe 13 and Chyann Gabriel 13 to lead the Warriors (6-2).
Maedina Ongais-Kilaulani and Cynthia Nakaima scored eight points each for the Cougars (2-6).
Kamehameha 16 19 21 2 — 58
Keaau 6 4 11 3 — 24
In the JV game, Kamehameha beat Keaau 28-23 behind Kyla Aguiar’s 21 points. Aina Padasdao scored 13 points to lead the Cougars.
• Hilo 63, Pahoa 18: Alyssa Perreira scored 12 points while Alexis Pana and Chailey Cabalis each had 10 for the Vikings (8-0) at Hilo Armory.
Vanessa Castro and Erleen Oguma had four points each for the Daggers (2-6).
Pahoa 6 6 4 2 — 18
Hilo 23 28 5 7 — 63
In the JV game, Hilo beat Pahoa 52-3.
• Waiakea 68, Ka‘u 24: Nicole Antonio scored 14 points and Shaila Apele 13 to lead the Warriors (5-3) at their gym.
Shyann Flores-Carvalho scored 10 points to lead the Trojans (1-7).
In the JV game, Waiakea defeated Ka‘u 34-22 behnd Christa Amuimuia’s 15 points. Kerrilyn Domondson had eight for the Trojans.
Ka‘u 5 10 4 5 — 24
Waiakea 26 22 10 10 — 68
• Kealakehe 3, Honokaa 1: Senior forward Avery Hardie-Jordan tallied his team-high 17th goal and an assist, and junior Keoni Yates collected two assists on free kicks near midfield for host Kealakehe, which took a 2-0 lead 10 minutes into the match.
Junior Scott Henderson and senior Connor Keale gave the Waveriders (12-0) a 2-0 advantage with their sixth and ninth goals of the season, respectively.
Junior Justin Warren scored his 17th goal on a penalty kick in the 75th minute for the Dragons (10-1-1).
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.