Ka‘u splits with St. Joseph in tennis
Ka‘u beat St. Joseph 3-0 in a boys Big Island Interscholastic Federation tennis match on Saturday. The St. Joe girls blanked the Trojans 5-0.
• 1st singles: Jemy Ray Plancia (Ka’u) def. Caleb Ananda-Stout (St. Joseph) 6-0, 6-2.
• 2nd singles: Andrew Garcia (Ka’u) def. Richard Kwon (St. Joseph) 6-2, 6-1.
• 1st doubles: default.
• 1st singles: Nicole Smallwood (St. Joseph) def. Romina Sembran (Ka’u) 6-1, 6-1.
• 2nd singles: Kaysha Kekaualua (St. Joseph) def. Wen Jing Yang (Ka’u) 6-4, 3-6, 10-8.
• 1st doubles: Fiona Follet/Rina Iwami(St. Joseph) Wen Hui Yang/Marileah Lalin (Ka’u), 6-2, 6-0.
• 2nd doubles: default.
• 3rd doubles: default.
U.S. Open and Women’s Open local qualifiers
The U.S. Open local qualifiers will be played over 18 holes and the U.S. Women’s Open sectional qualifiers will be over 36 holes at the Kukio Golf Club in Kailua-Kona on May 6.
Only the top qualifiers from each Local Qualifier will advance to one of 11 36-hole Sectional Qualifiers. Of the 11 Sectional Qualifiers scheduled around the United States at least one player from each qualifier will advance directly to the U.S. Open at the Merion Golf Club in Ardmore, Pennsylvania on June 13-16. The qualifiers from the Hawaii U.S. Women’s Open Sectional go directly to the national championship at Sebonack Golf Club in Southampton, N.Y., June 27-30.
Registration is currently open and participants must submit applications online by visiting https://champs.usga.org/index.html. The deadline to register for the US Open is April 24 and May 1 for the US Women’s Open Sectional Qualifier.
Phillips shoots ace
Nancy Phillips aced the par 3, 148-yard 8th hole on March 10 at Hilo Municipal Golf Course. She used a 4 wood while playing with the Wiki Wiki Golf Club.
Lena Muramoto, Bert Muramoto and Alfred Phillips witnessed Phillips’ seventh hole-in-one.