BIAC race results
The Big Island Auto Club held its October Points Meet and season finale this past Saturday and Sunday at the Hilo Drag Strip.
Here are the results:
Saturday’s ET bracket races
• Bracket 1: Winner, Gary Mizuno (Hilo) in a ‘55 Chevrolet Bel-Air (8.88 sec/153 mph); runner-up, Dennis Wong (Hilo) in a Camaro (8.96 sec/152 mph—broke out of bracket).
• Bracket 2: Winner, Craig De Rego (Hilo) in a Chevrolet Vega (11.66 sec/101 mph); runner-up, Chad Fiesta (Pepeekeo) in a Chevrolet Nova (10.87 sec/133 mph—broke out of bracket.
• Motorcycle Bracket: Winner, James Kamanu (Hilo) on a Suzuki (10.09 sec/134 mph—Kamanu wins on a hole shot); runner-up, John Malson (Hilo) on a Honda (9.60 sec/140 mph).
• Sports Compact: Winner, Chris Mulliken (Volcano) in a Honda (13.14 sec/86 mph); runner-up, Michael Okumura (Pahala) in a Honda (15.21 sec/86 mph).
Sunday’s Pro-Gas &
• 8.90 index: Winner, Jeffrey Medeiros (Hawi) in a Plymouth Valiant (8.93 sec/155 mph; runner-up, David Francis (Paauilo) in a Camaro (9.04 sec/154 mph.
• 9.90 index: Winner, Canin Francis (Paauilo) in a Chevrolet Nova (9.92 sec/141 mph—Francis wins on a hole shot); runner-up, Darrell Agliam (Hilo) in a Camaro (9.90 sec/125 mph).
• 10.90 index: Winner, Chad Fiesta (Pepeekeo) in a Chevrolet Nova (10.96 sec/133 mph); runner-up, Richard Hill (Hilo) in a Camaro (10.97 sec/137 mph).
• 11.90 index: Winner, Kaike DePonte (Keaau) in a Camaro (9.11 sec/124 mph); runner-up, Lawrence Cacabelos (Papaaloa) in a Camaro (Red Lighted…12.45 sec/109 mph).
• 12.90 index: Winner, Ian Bernard (Papaikou) in a Toyota Corolla (17.57 sec/42 mph); runner-up, Chris Mulliken (Volcano) in a Honda (Red Lighted…23.6 sec/36 mph).
• Junior Dragsters: Winner, Kaimi Francis (Hilo) in a digger (11.68 sec/59 mph); runner-up, Dione Tobara (Mt. View) in a digger (Red Lighted…9.91 sec/63 mph).
• Pro-Gas Motorcycle: Winner, James Kamanu (Hilo) on a Suzuki (9.83 sec/133 mph…Kamanu wins on a hole shot); runner-up, John Malson (Hilo) on a Honda (9.83 sec/138 mph).
• Augie Taroma’s 8-Second Shoot Out: Winner, Dean Kalawe (Keaau) in a Chevrolet S-10 pickup (8.93 sec/146 mph); runner-up, David Francis (Paauilo) in a Camaro (8.98 sec/155 mph).
• Steinlager 7-Second Shoot Out: Winner, Buddy Loeffler (Hilo) in a Chevrolet Cavalier (7.64 sec/159 mph); runner-up, Casey Santana (Pahala) in a ‘41 Willys Coupe (10.50 sec/130 mph).
• Fastest car on the track: Derrick Morreira (Keaau) in a digger (6.66 seconds/178 mph).
Note: Results submitted by Russ Roberts.
BIIF playoffs change
The Big Island Interscholastic Federation announced Tuesday a change in the upcoming Division I football playoffs.
Instead of playing the two semifinal games on Oct. 20, the new BIIF schedule follows:
• Friday, Oct. 19: Hilo vs. Waiakea at Wong Stadium. The teams are still battling for the No. 2 seed and they play this coming Friday night in a regular season game at Wong.
• Saturday, Oct. 20: No. 1 Kealakehe hosts No. 4 Keaau.
The BIIF D-I regular season ends this weekend.
On Friday, it’s Hilo vs. Waiakea, Konawaena at Ka’u and Keaau at Kealakehe.
On Saturday, Kamehameha hosts Honokaa with the JV game starting at 1 p.m., followed by the varsity contest.
Viking rolls 179 game
Hilo High School’s Riley Cabarloc enjoyed a productive regular season while bowling for the Vikings.
In the Viks’ final match against Kamehameha, Cabarloc had a high game of 179.
Cabarloc’s high game was not listed among the high scorers from last Wednesday’s matches at Hilo Lanes.
Next up for the league bowlers is the BIIF Team and Individual Championships, slated Oct. 27 at Hilo Lanes.
The BIIF’s boys and girls team champions will earn state berths as well as the league’s top 14 girls and 15 boys by season average.
The BIIF’s individual champions are guaranteed state berths. The state tournament will be held Nov. 3 on Kauai.