Trojans knock off Waiakea
Lehre Vidal scored on a 30-yard goal over the outstretched hands of the Waiakea goalie in the second half to give Ka’u a heart-pounding 1-0 victory over the Warriors in Pahala.
It was the first time the Division II Trojans had beaten the D-I Warriors in a Big Island Interscholastic Federation boys soccer match.
Ka’u head coach Crystalee Mandaguit called Vidal’s shot “a perfect goal” that came off an assist from Derrick Valez.
“Our kids played hard and we only had one sub,” Mandaguit said. “It’s a big win for us, our first ever over Waiakea.”
Trojans goalie Andrew Garcia got the shutout as Ka’u improved to 2-3 in the D-II standings. Waiakea fell to 0-6 in D-I.
Mandaguit commended her assistants, Joenell Nullar-Freitas and Gennifer Shibuya, for helping coach the key win.
“Everyone on the team contributed today,” Mandaguit said.
• Christian Liberty 9, HAAS 0: At Keaau, Nakaiya Kerr scored three goals and Keenan Freitas and Kekoa Mundo had two apiece to lead unbeaten Christian Liberty to a 9-0 win over HAAS on Monday afternoon.
The Big Island Interscholastic Federation Division II boys soccer match was played in Keaau.
The host Canefire (4-0) also got goals from Louis Moylan and Sequoya Kerr. Goalie Keanu Bergfeld registered the shutout.
HAAS fell to 0-5 in the BIIF D-II standings.
In other boys action Monday, it was: Hilo 4, Keaau 0; and Ka’u 1, Waiakea 0.
• Hilo 4, Keaau 0: At Shipman Park, senior Justin Shiigi scored three goals and Dane Miyata one to lead the Vikings.
Goalie Kaden Pestano recorded the shutout.
The Vikings led 1-0 at the half.
“Hilo played really well, with good ball control,” Keaau coach Richard Handy, Sr. said.
In girls matches, it was: Hilo 4, Keaau 0; and Waiakea 7, Ka’u 1.
• Hilo 4, Keaau 0: At Shipman Park, junior Delcee Ramos hit an 8-yard goal in a scrum at the 12:00 mark to put the Vikings on the scoreboard on their way to the win in the afternoon match.
Also scoring for Hilo were sophomore Tiani Teanio, a 6-yard goal in the 28th minute; junior Carmen Garson-Shumway, a 20-yard driving goal into the net from the left off a nifty Ramos assist; and junior Camille Martinez, an 8-yard header in the 68th minute off a double assist from fellow juniors Serena Nasworthy and Shylia Bautista
Viking seniors Edwina DeGrood and Michelle Martinez combined for the shutout.
• Waiakea 7, Ka’u 1: At Pahala, the visiting Warriors rolled past the Trojans.
No goal scorers were reported.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Stephens Media LLC or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Stephens Media LLC is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.