Viking soccer girls go unbeaten on Kauai
The Hilo High School girls soccer team, led by high-scoring Lawrenes Higa, played a three-game series on Kauai over the weekend. The Vikings finished the tour with two wins, a 4-1 victory over Kapaa and a 3-0 win over Waimea, and a 2-2 tie against Kauai.
Higa, a senior, scored a goal in each of the Viking wins and the two goals in their tie against Kauai.
Hilo 4, Kapaa Warriors 1 at Vidinha Stadium in Lihue.
• 9:00: Sophomore Jasmine Smeraglia kicks in an 18-yard upper right goal into the net to start off the Vikings preseason games on Kauai.
• 19:00: Senior forward Lolly Higa hits a 20-yard goal. Assist by junior Mehana Sabado-Halpern.
• 27:00: Mehana Sabado-Halpern hits a 15-yard goal from the right. Assist by senior Serena Nasworthy
• 60:00: Kapaa goal, 16 yards out.
• 68:00: Senior Lii Maertens kicks 35-yard goal over the Kapaa keeper’s hands to score the 4th goal for Hilo.
Note: Hilo senior Jordyn Breitbarth and freshman Danielle Brown combined for the win in goal.
Hilo 2, Kauai Red Raiders 2 at Vidinha Stadium.
• 29:00: Kauai scores on a 23-yard direct kick.
• 34:00: Hilo’s Higa hits a 15-yard goal. Jasmine Smeraglia assisted with a 15-yard slot pass.
• 41:00: Higa scores a 25-yard goal. Smeraglia assists with a 12-yard slot pass.
• 71:00: Kauai scores the tying goal and the teams finish in a 2-2 deadlock.
Note: Breitbarth was the Hilo keeper for the game.
Hilo 3, Waimea Menehunes 0 at Hanapepe Stadium.
• 3:00: Higa hits a 20-yard goal from the left, off an assist from senior Serena Nasworthy.
• 36:00: Nasworthy scores on a breakway 15-yard goal.
• 41:00: Hilo’s Maertens nets a 15-yard goal over the Waimea keeper to make the final score 3-0.
Note: Breitbarth earned the shutout.
Hilo assistant coach Curtis Chong provided the scoring summaries.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.