Volleyball trio share isle honor
Three outstanding prep volleyball players have been named the co-Big Island Athlete of the Month for October.
They are Konawaena’s Chanelle Molina, Hawaii Prep’s Gabbie Ewing and Kamehameha’s Kaiu Ahuna, all who led their teams to state tournament berths while enjoying highly productive seasons.
Molina, a 5-foot-6 sophomore outside hitter, led Konawaena to the state Division II girls volleyball championship. In the state final against Big Island rival Hawaii Prep, Molina had a match-high 28 kills in the Wildcats’ 25-16, 24-26, 25-18, 25-12 win.
Molina, a returning all-state basketball player, was named the state D-II volleyball tournament’s most outstanding player.
Ewing, a 5-foot-7 junior outside hitter, led Hawaii Prep to the BIIF title and a state runner-up finish to Konawaena in the state Division II girls volleyball tournament on Oahu. Ewing had 22 kills in the finale and was named to the all-tournament squad.
Ahuna, a 5-foot-8 outside hitter, led Kamehameha to an unbeaten record in the BIIF Division I race and the league crown. The Warriors finished sixth in the state D-I tournament held at the Kamehameha and Keaau high school gyms.
The Big Island athlete of the month program is sponsored by Don’s Grill, under owner Don Hoota. The athlete of the month as well as athlete and sportsperson of the year programs were founded by the late Jack Matsui.
Members of the selection committee are Hugh Clark, Ramon Goya, Stan Costales and chairman Bill O’Rear.
Nominations for the November athlete of the month may be sent to Don’s Grill, 485 Hinano St., Hilo, HI 96720, or to Bill O’Rear, Tribune-Herald Sports, P.O. Box 767, Hilo, HI 96721; or e-mail email@example.com.
The deadline to submit nominations is Dec. 1.
• January: UH-Hilo basketball player Kamie Imai.
• February: Kamehameha basketball player Casey Poe.
• March: UH-Hilo pitcher Vanessa Salinas, national judo champion Tyler Yonemori.
• April: Waiakea golfer Ciera Min.
• May: Hawaii Prep’s Zoe Sims, state track champion.
• June: Hilo golfer Ciera Min.
• July: Southside boys 14’s volleyball team.
• August: Kealakehe swimmer Leahi Camacho, Hilo golfer Ciera Min.
• September: Hawaii Prep running back Bobby Lum.
• October: Volleyball players Chanelle Molina (Konawaena), Gabbie Ewing (HPA), Kaiu Ahuna (Kamehameha).
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.