Three outstanding prep volleyball players have been named the co-Big Island Athlete of the Month for October.
They are Konawaena’s Chanelle Molina, Hawaii Prep’s Gabbie Ewing and Kamehameha’s Kaiu Ahuna, all who led their teams to state tournament berths while enjoying highly productive seasons.
Molina, a 5-foot-6 sophomore outside hitter, led Konawaena to the state Division II girls volleyball championship. In the state final against Big Island rival Hawaii Prep, Molina had a match-high 28 kills in the Wildcats’ 25-16, 24-26, 25-18, 25-12 win.
Molina, a returning all-state basketball player, was named the state D-II volleyball tournament’s most outstanding player.
Ewing, a 5-foot-7 junior outside hitter, led Hawaii Prep to the BIIF title and a state runner-up finish to Konawaena in the state Division II girls volleyball tournament on Oahu. Ewing had 22 kills in the finale and was named to the all-tournament squad.
Ahuna, a 5-foot-8 outside hitter, led Kamehameha to an unbeaten record in the BIIF Division I race and the league crown. The Warriors finished sixth in the state D-I tournament held at the Kamehameha and Keaau high school gyms.
The Big Island athlete of the month program is sponsored by Don’s Grill, under owner Don Hoota. The athlete of the month as well as athlete and sportsperson of the year programs were founded by the late Jack Matsui.
Members of the selection committee are Hugh Clark, Ramon Goya, Stan Costales and chairman Bill O’Rear.
Nominations for the November athlete of the month may be sent to Don’s Grill, 485 Hinano St., Hilo, HI 96720, or to Bill O’Rear, Tribune-Herald Sports, P.O. Box 767, Hilo, HI 96721; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to submit nominations is Dec. 1.
• January: UH-Hilo basketball player Kamie Imai.
• February: Kamehameha basketball player Casey Poe.
• March: UH-Hilo pitcher Vanessa Salinas, national judo champion Tyler Yonemori.
• April: Waiakea golfer Ciera Min.
• May: Hawaii Prep’s Zoe Sims, state track champion.
• June: Hilo golfer Ciera Min.
• July: Southside boys 14’s volleyball team.
• August: Kealakehe swimmer Leahi Camacho, Hilo golfer Ciera Min.
• September: Hawaii Prep running back Bobby Lum.
• October: Volleyball players Chanelle Molina (Konawaena), Gabbie Ewing (HPA), Kaiu Ahuna (Kamehameha).