Corey Kozuma and Kirsty Imai were announced as the 2012-13 University of Hawaii at Hilo Most Valuable Vulcans during Thursday’s Annual All-Sports Banquet at the UHH Campus Center Dining Room.
Kozuma, a junior golfer, is the top-rated player in the NCAA Division II West Region and ranked 20th nationally. He won the Dennis Rose Invitational and recorded four top-10 finishes during an outstanding season. Those finishes were sixth at the Western Washington Invitational, third at the GolfWeek Division II Preview, sixth at the Sonoma State Invitational and eigth at the St. Martin’s Intercollegiate.
Imai, a senior guard, earned honorable mention all-Pacific West Conference honors in helping the Vulcans earn a berth in the inaugural PacWest basketball tournament. She started 24 games and averaged 9.7 points per game with a team-high 37 three-pointers. She also recorded 22 steals and 32 assists.
Other award winners include:
• Team of the Year : Men’s Golf.
• Coach of the Year: Earl Tamiya, Men’s Golf.
• Assistant Coach of the Year: Zac Zepponi, Men’s Basketball.
• Academic Athlete of the Year (Male): Gregory Cleary, Baseball.
• Academic Athlete of the Year (Female): Chloe Nishioka, Soccer.
• Academic Team of the Year: Women’s Tennis.
• Community Engagement Service: Men’s Soccer.
• Volunteer of the Year (Male): Tracy Miyashiro.
• Volunteer of the Year (Female): Millie Kaneshiro.
• Vulcan Athletic Club Booster of the Year: Faith Nance.
• Staff Member of the Year: Glen Kagamida.
• Behind the Scenes: Diane Wissing.
Fourth-year UHH athletic director Dexter Irvin announced the award winners.