Online Exra: Judge upholds Nick Diaz’ suspension
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A Nevada judge is upholding a fine and yearlong suspension for Ultimate Fighting Championship competitor Nick Diaz after he tested positive for marijuana use last year.
A court order made public Wednesday shoots down Diaz’s challenge that he had a prescription from a doctor in California to use medicinal marijuana to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
The court ruling says there’s substantial evidence Diaz broke rules by using the substance before his Feb. 4, 2012, UFC welterweight title loss to Carlos Condit.
It adds that Diaz likely understood he should have disclosed the pot use before the fight, and says the Nevada Athletic Commission didn’t overstep its bounds by suspending him.
Diaz was fined $79,500 and banned from fighting until February 2013 following the violation.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.