Hit-and-run driver sought
Police are looking for the driver of a car that fled the scene of a fatal accident.
A 71-year-old Kealakekua man died Thursday from injuries he sustained in a motor vehicle/pedestrian crash on the Hawaii Belt Road and Hokukano Road in Kealakekua.
Responding to a 1:32 a.m. call, Kona patrol officers determined that the pedestrian was walking in a northerly direction on the mauka shoulder of the highway when an unknown vehicle struck him.
The driver of the vehicle fled. Police are looking for a sedan with damage to the front end, hood and possibly the windshield.
Traffic Enforcement Unit officers have initiated a negligent homicide and accident involving death or serious bodily injury cases.
The pedestrian was transported to the Kona Community Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 3:54 a.m.
An autopsy has been ordered to determine the exact cause of death.
The name of the victim is being held pending positive identification and notification of the next of kin.
Anyone with information regarding this crash is asked to call Officer Larry Flowers at 326-4646, extension 229.
Rules for posting comments
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.