Big Island briefs
The Hilo Ohana Horseshoe Pitchers Club’s annual sanctioned singles and doubles horseshoe pitchers tournament was held in February at the Uncle David K. Calles Sr. courts at Onekahakaha Beach Park.
• A class: 1. Enrique Madera, Hilo; 2. Linda Taketa, Kona; 3. Gabriel Saberon, Hilo.
• B class: 1. William R. Kaiwa, Hilo; 2. Al Mehlhouse, Kona; 3. Hans Haynes, Kona.
• C class: 1. Darlene Calles Christian, Hilo; 2. Carol Costa, Hilo; 3. Tim Greene, Hilo.
• A class: 1. Gabriel Saberon & Mahea Akuna, Hilo; 2. Lind Taketa & Jimmy Taketa, Kona; 3. Pat McDonald & Al Mehlhouse, Kona.
• B class: 1. Enrique Madera & Darlene Calles Chriistian, Hilo; 2. Hans Haynes & Charles Hymons, Kona; 3. Theresa Haalilio & Parker Prieskorn, Hilo.
HGEA golf outing
slated for April 19
The Hawaii Government Employees Association will hold a golf fellowship on April 19 at Hilo Municipal Golf Course.
The first tee time is 7 a.m., and there are a limited number of tee times for members, retirees and associate members.
There is a $5 jackpot that includes low net prizes and a closest-to-the-pin contest.
For more information, contact Darrell Yamamoto at 938-4431.
Junior golf days
on tap Saturday
The Hawaii State Junior Golf Association will hold a junior golf day on Saturday at Hilo Municipal Golf Course and Makalei Golf Club.
Registration is at 8:30 a.m., and clinics run from 9-11 a.m.
For more information, visit www.hsjga.org.
is league slated
The Lokahi coed volleyball league will hold a new season, running on April 1 through May 27 at Hilo Armory.
There are currently openings for two additional “A” division team, and two additional “B” division teams.
All ages are welcome to play in the league, and divisions will have six teams.
Games will be played on Tuesday nights only, from 7 to 10 p.m.
The cost is $45 per team and the deadline to register is March 25.
For more information, contact Kawika at 557-4667 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UHH soccer camps
set for weekend
Soccer camps are scheduled this weekend at the University of Hawaii at Hilo.
Women’s camp, Sunday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., UH-Hilo soccer field, ages 15 and older, $50
Men’s camp, Saturday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., UH-Hilo soccer field, ages 15 years and older, $50
Registration is taken until the day of camp. For forms, visit hiloathletics.com or call 932-7166.
High school rodeo
at Paniolo Park
The Hawaii High School Rodeo at Paniolo Park in Waimea continues the first weekend of April and May. Saturday activities feature keiki and junior divisions; Sunday activities feature high school participants. The state finals junior division is May 9 to 11 and high school division is June 12 to 15.
The competition is free; donations are welcome. Food will be sold, with proceeds to benefit the program.
For more information, contact DeeDee Bertelmann at 325-5937 or email@example.com.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.