Big Island briefs
Bug-In race results
The Big Island Auto Club and Big Island VW Club annual Bug-In was held April 19-20 at the Hilo Drag Strip.
• Team Germany (VW) vs. Team Japan (sports compact). Behind the power performance of Laramie DeCoito (Hilo) and his Toyota, Team Japan edged Team Germany 5-4.
Winner: Laramie DeCoito won the final round with a run of 12.23 sec/94 mph. Runner-up John Brock (Kauai) and his VW bug turned in time of 13.13 sec/99 mph.
• Junior Dragsters bracket race winner: Daesha Tobara (Mt. View) won a 2 out of 3 race with a time of 10.30 sec/60 mph. Runner-up Kaimi Francis (Hilo) turned in a time of 9.70 sec/62.5 mph. Tobara won on a hole shot.
• VW Quick 8 (Bracket 1) winner: Joe Anderson (Kailua-Kona) in a dune buggy won the event with a time of 11.12 sec/119 mph. Tommy Gaspar (Captain Cook) was runner-up in a VW digger with a time of 16.53 sec/68 mph.
• VW Bracket 2 winner: Don Canda (Hilo) in a VW bug with a time of 11.55 sec/108 mph. Kenneth Chang (Hilo) was runner-up in a VW bug with a time of 12.05 sec/110 mph.
• Sports Compact bracket winner: Keylen Chang (Hilo) in a VW bug with a time of 16.87sec/74 mph. Cain Francis (Honokaa) was runner-up in a Toyota pickup truck with a red light time of 16.33 sec/83 mph.
• Team VW vs Team Japan (sports compact) winner: Keylen Chang (Hilo) in a VW bug with a time of 15.38 sec/76 mph. Runner-up: Don Canda (Hilo) in a VW bug with a break out time of 11.32 sec/118 mph.
Team Japan won both team competitions (Saturday and Sunday).
Next race: Memorial Day Drags, 24 May and 25 May 2014 at the Hilo Drag Strip.
Reported by Russell Roberts
A sanctioned horseshoe pitchers tournament was held April 12 at the Kona Palms Courts in Kailua Kona.
A Class Division
1st Place - Enrique Madera (Hilo)
2nd Place - Linda Taketa (Kona)
3rd Place - Tiffany Ferreira (Kona)
B Class Division
1st Place - Theresa Ha’alilio (Hilo)
2nd Place - Hans Haynes (Kona)
3rd Place - Bill Rodrigues Kaiwa (Hilo)
C Class Division
1st Place - Charles Hymons (Kona)
2nd Place - Dennis Brokofsky (Oceanview)
3rd Place - Daniel Consolacion (Hilo)
D Class Division
1st Place - Darlene Calles Christian (Hilo)
2nd Place- Amanda Christian (Hilo)
3rd Place - Scott Mello (Kona)
Participants are registered with the NHPA (National Horseshoe Pitchers Association) and are required to fulfill two sanctioned tournaments in ordered to enter the upcoming Hawaii State Horseshoe Singles Tournament.
The state tournament will be held Aug. 30-31 in Hilo at the Uncle David K. Calles Sr. Horseshoe Courts.
Further information, contact David Calles Sr. 937-7860.
The 2014 Hawaii Island Hoops College-Prep Basketball Camp will be held June 16-20 at the Konawaena High School Gym.
The camp, under the direction of Andy Smith, offers skill development for youngsters and introduces them to college-style workouts and training.
Smith will be joined on the teaching staff by college coaches from the junior college, NAIA and NCAA levels.
The camp fee is $350 and includes a Nike reversible jersey and shorts, college coaching and instruction, all meals, daily seminars on academic requirements, financial aid and athletic recruitment, plus a beach trip.
Hall of Fame
The University of Hawaii at Hilo Vulcans Athletic Hall of Fame is accepting nominations.
Categories for prospective honorees are athlete, coach, administrator and community member.
Athlete nominees must have completed their eligibility at UH Hilo and completed their playing days at the end of the spring 2008 season. Exceptions may be made for inability to complete due to physical/medical reasons. Graduation from UH Hilo is not a requirement, but graduates will receive preference from the selection committee.
Coach, administrator or community nominees must have made significant contributions that enhanced the image of Vulcan Athletics. A coach or administrator must not have served the UH Hilo Athletic Department in a paid capacity within the past five years. There is no waiting period for community nominees.
The nomination deadline is May 31 for Fall induction.
Nominations forms are available on the web at hiloathletics.com under the traditions dropdown. Inquiries may be directed to Hall of Fame coordinator Joey Estrella at email@example.com or by calling 932-7168.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.