Big Island briefs
Athletes of Month
Daylan Toribio and Kalani Gonsalves have been named the Big Island Athletes of the Month for June.
Toribio, 21, of Keaau, and Gonsalves, 24, of Hilo, represented the Big Island and state of Hawaii in the 2014 Special Olympics USA Games in New Jersey. The games were held June 14-21 and attracted over 3,500 athletes from around the United States.
Toribio won a gold medal in the 100 meters and two silvers, in the 400x100 meters and 4x400 meters. Gonsalves won silver medals in the 200 meters and 4x100-meters.
Hilo’s Dave Baldwin coached the Hawaii Team.
The Big Island athlete of the month program is sponsored by Don’s Grill, under owner Don Hoota. The athlete of the month as well as athlete and sportsperson of the year programs were founded by the late Jack Matsui.
Members of the selection committee are Hugh Clark, Ramon Goya, Stan Costales and chairman Bill O’Rear.
Nominations for the July athlete of the month may be sent to Don’s Grill, 485 Hinano St., Hilo, HI 96720, or to Bill O’Rear, Tribune-Herald Sports, P.O. Box 767, Hilo, HI 96721; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to submit nominations is August 1.
• January: Punt, Pass & Kick national champion Jason Alani.
• February: Honokaa’s Chancis Fernandez (basketball) and Hawaii Prep’s Gabbie Ewing (soccer) and David Ovbagbedia (basketball).
• March: UHH softball player Rebecca Lee.
• April: Evan Enriques, Kamehameha-Hawaii volleyball player.
• May: Kodi Medeiros, Waiakea baseball player; Emma Taylor, HPA track standout.
• June: Daylan Toribio and Kalani Gonsalves, won medals in the 2014 Special Olympics USA Games.
St. Joseph hoops,
VB clinics slated
St Joseph school will be starting basketball and volleyball clinics open to all students enrolled at St Joseph school for the 2014-15 school year, grades 4th through 8th.
Basketball clinics will be Saturdays, July 19, July 26 and Aug. 2. Volleyball clinics will be Fridays, July 18, July 25 and Aug. 1.
Contact Michael Costales for more information at 895-2577.
Konawaena High School is accepting applications for the following coaching positions for the 2014-15 School Year:
— Head coach varsity baseball.
— Head coach junior varsity baseball.
Contact the Athletic Department at Konawaena High School for an application and instructions on making application for the positions.
Fill date is Aug.1; applications will be accepted until filled.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.