BIIF golf finals: Waiakea’s Hirata, Igawa charge out in front
Waiakea’s Trevor Hirata fired a 2-under 70 at Hualalai to grab a three-stroke lead over teammate Shon Katahira after the first round of the BIIF championships.
Andi Igawa carded a 79 and led the girls competition by four strokes.
The second round of the 54-hole championships is set for Tuesday at Hokulia.
Seven boys shot 80 on the boys side, including Kamehameha’s Cody Pereira (74) and Kala’i Pomroy (77), and Konawaena’s Josiah Lerback (80), Hilo’s Casey Nakatsu (80) and Makua Lani’s Matthew Rosato (80).
The Vikings’ Amanda Loeffler was second behind Igawa, and Kamehameha golfers Shantel Antonio (87) and Healani Kaaihili (95) and Hilo’s Kelsy Nishimura rounded out the top five.
Saturday at Hualalai
1. Andi Igawa, Waiakea 40-39—79
2. Amanda Loeffler, Hilo 40-43—83
3. Shantel Antonio, Kamehameha 44-43—87
4. Healani Kaaihili, Kamehameha 49-46—95
5. Kelsy Nishimura, Hilo 51-46—97
6. Katie Jefferson, HPA 49-49—98
7. Annie Sadamoto, Hilo 51-48—99
8. Keely Kitamura, Waiakea 51-64—115
9. Sunny Sakai, Hilo 61-56—117
Missed the cut
Chelsea Ward, Hilo 65-53—118
Alana Manuia, Kamehameha 64-55—119
Karissa Komo, Makua Lani 67-54—121
1. Trevor Hirata, Waiakea 36-34—70
2. Shon Katahira, Waiakea 37-36—73
3. Cody Pereira, Kamehameha 36-38—74
4. Kala’i Pomroy, Kamehameha 39-38—77
5. Josiah Lerback, Konawaena 43-37—80
5. Casey Nakatsu, Hilo 43-37—80
5. Matthew Rosato, Makua Lani 42-38—80
8. Chase Narimatsu, Waiakea 42-39—81
9. Preston Ching, Kamehameha 40-42—82
10. Luigi Remo, Kealakehe 41-43—84
11. Luigi Balbo, HPA 42-43—85
12. Eric Kagawa, Waiakea 42-45—87
13. Cody Hamane, Hilo 49-41—90
13. Daryl Nakamoto, Kealakehe 45-45—90
13. Brent Nikaitani, Konawaena 47-43—90
16 John Andrade, Kamehameha 48-45—93
16. Brentson Kinoshita, Waiakea 47-46—93
16. Kaunaloa Ng, Makua Lani 47-46—93
Missed the cut
Aidan Alcos, Makua Lani 44-51—95
Bram Paikuli, Kamehameha 57-43—100
Cody Pinzon, Hilo 51-53—104
Ahren Ah Chong, Kamehameha 55-52—107
Kalani Alapai, Makua Lani 53-54—107
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Oahu Publishing Inc. or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Oahu Publishing Inc. is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.