A trio of standouts representing three state championship teams have been named the Big Island Athletes of the Month for February.
The honorees include:
• Chancis Fernandez, a senior, who helped lead Honokaa to the state Division II girls basketball championship, beating Kamehameha-Hawaii 54-35 in the state final.
Fernandez was also honored as the BIIF D-II Player of the Year.
• Gabbie Ewing, a senior, who helped lead Hawaii Preparatory Academy to the state D-II girls soccer championship, beating three-time defending champion Mid-Pacific 2-1 in overtime in the state final. Ewing was named the tournament’s most outstanding player.
• David Ovbagbedia, a senior, who helped lead HPA to the state D-II boys basketball championship, beating Kalani of the Oahu Interscholastic Association 42-33 in the state final. The 6-foot-4 forward was named the tournament’s most outstanding player.
The Big Island athlete of the month program is sponsored by Don’s Grill, under owner Don Hoota. The athlete of the month as well as athlete and sportsperson of the year programs were founded by the late Jack Matsui.
Members of the selection committee are Hugh Clark, Ramon Goya, Stan Costales and chairman Bill O’Rear.
Nominations for the March athlete of the month may be sent to Don’s Grill, 485 Hinano St., Hilo, HI 96720, or to Bill O’Rear, Tribune-Herald Sports, P.O. Box 767, Hilo, HI 96721; or e-mail email@example.com.
The deadline to submit nominations is April 1.
• January : Punt, Pass &Kick national champion Jason Alani.
• February: Honokaa’s Chancis Fernandez (basketball) and Hawaii Prep’s Gabbie Ewing (soccer) and David Ovbagbedia (basketball).