Manoa roundup: UH women win first soccer match
A three-goal flurry helped the University of Hawaii women’s soccer team notch its first win of the season.
Kama Pascua, Dani Crawford and Storm Kenui scored during a 12-minute burst spanning the first and second halves Thursday night as the Wahine downed Northern Illinois 3-2 at Waipio Peninsula Soccer Stadium on Oahu.
Crawford gave UH (1-2) the lead a minute before halftime on a header. Just two minutes into the second half, Kenui collected a pass from Sonest Furtado and scored inside the box.
Alex Elias put the Huskies (o-3) in front on a header off a corner kick in the 31st minute, but almost five minutes later Pascua beat a defender and secured the equalizer.
Outshot by a combined 18-7 in season-opening losses to Arizona State and Texas, Hawaii held a 17-10 shots advantage.
UH continues play at the Ohana Hotels and Resorts No Ka Oi with a match at 5 p.m. Monday against Seattle.
Rules for posting comments
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.