UH volleyball loses five-setter
Stephens Media Hawaii
Brook Sedore led the University of Hawaii men’s volleyball team with 15 kills Friday. He’ll likely remember his would-be 16th the most.
Sedore clipped the antenna with a match-tying spike attempt late in Game 5, and moments later UC Santa Barbara finished of a 20-25, 25-23, 25-14, 21-25, 15-13 victory, sweeping the two-match set in Santa Barbara, Calif.
Earlier, Sedore pounded three consecutive kills to bring UH (5-4, 3-3 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) within 11-10, but three attack errors followed for the Rainbow Warriors, who hit .198.
Middle blocker Taylor Averill (14 kills, .500) and David Holt (nine, .471) were efficient in the loss. Six of Averill’s came in the fourth set as Hawaii extended the match.
Evan Licht smacked 22 kills for the Gauchos (5-4, 4-2) and Austin Kingi added 15. Santa Barbara hit .299.
Danielle Lewis and Chloe Barr each recorded four goals in Hayward, Calif., and junior Zoe Respondek tallied three as the No. 6 Rainbow Wahine routed Cal State East Bay 20-2 in Hayward, Calif., their second straight convincing victory to open the season.
The 18-goal margin of victory was the largest for UH since it defeated Concordia 23-3 in 2010.
Rules for posting comments
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.