A Mountain View man told fire officials he was deep frying food Thursday evening when the oil ignited, causing fire to spread to the walls and destroy the house.
Eight units responded to the 5:13 p.m. alarm. The Kona street home was fully engulfed in flames and the occupant was standing on the roadway when the first unit arrived at 5:36 p.m., according to a written Fire Department statement. There was a vehicle approximately 10 feet from the burning house, power lines were down and there was no nearby source of water, although firefighters were able to prevent nearby brush from catching fire.
The loss was estimated at $128,000 and the Red Cross is assisting the home’s displaced occupant.