Hokule‘a departure delayed again


Departure of Polynesian Voyaging Society canoes Hokule‘a and Hikianalia from Hilo has been delayed for a second time due to a lack of wind, according to the PVS website.

“In the real-life sailing scenario, everything is driven by the weather, everything is driven by the wind,” said pwo (master) navigator Kalepa Baybayan.

The crew is hoping favorable wind conditions for departure from Palekai, aka Radio Bay, to Tahiti either Wednesday or Thursday. It was originally hoped the double-hulled canoes, which are on a world voyage called Malama Honua, would depart on Saturday.

“Delaying departure is a common thing for us because of safety. We don’t want to leave where the winds can be so strong where someone can get hurt. If we were just to leave Hilo, and there was no wind, we would just be floating in the bay for a day or two,” said navigator Keahi Omai.

“It’s the winds that’s going to take you home or take you to where you want to go. So we just need to be patient for the right shift in the right direction,” said Baybayan.

 

Rules for posting comments