Man arrested after stabbing at Hilo beach
Police have initiated an attempted murder investigation after a stabbing Saturday afternoon at a Hilo beach park.
At 2:15 p.m., officers responded to a report of a stabbing at James Kealoha Beach Park in Keaukaha, also known as 4-mile beach.
When officers arrived, they learned that a 41-year-old Hilo man had sustained multiple stab wounds to the back during an altercation with another man. The victim was en route to the hospital in a private vehicle when the driver encountered an ambulance, who transport the victim to Hilo Medical Hospital in critical but stable condition.
The suspect, 46-year-old Paul Gibson of Ocean View was found six minutes later on Laukapu Street and was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. Gibson was taken to the Hilo police cellblock and remains there while detectives continue to investigate.
Anyone with information on this case is asked to contact Detective Clarence Davies at 961-2384 or email@example.com or Detective Norbert Serrao at 961-2383 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Those who prefer anonymity may call Crime Stoppers number at 961-8300 and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000.
Rules for posting comments
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.