Water restrictions in Hamakua and Puna
The county Department of Water Supply is reporting a water main break causing an outage in parts of Hamakua and electrical generation shortfalls causing low water tank levels and water restrictions in parts of Puna.
The broken water main along Pohakea Mauka Road is affecting customers from Hoo Kahua Road to Paauilo Mauka Road, officials said. Customers in this area may experience little to no water pressure.
At this time, work crews are assessing access to the site and investigating the extent of damage. The repair is estimated to be complete by this evening.
With ongoing HELCO power generation shortfalls, the DWS reports low water tank levels in the Laupahoehoe water system in the Hamakua District and the Pahoa water system in Puna.
Until further notice, water customers located in Papaaloa, Laupahoehoe, and Waipunalei area are advised to restrict water use to essential use only, as are
customers from Pahoa town to Kapoho, including Makuu Ag Lots, to restrict water use to essential use only.
Water restriction means a 25 percent reduction in daily use.
For more information or to report emergency needs, call 961-8790.
Rules for posting comments
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.